Our recruitment process
When you apply through our recruitment site you will need to:
- Set up an account with the NSW Health recruitment system
- Upload your resume and add personal details
- Answer the selection criteria or a few questions
- Submit your application
It is mandatory to answer the questions in the application so the person hiring for the position (the ‘hiring manager’) can assess your application against the capabilities needed for the role. Describe your achievements positively and use language that demonstrates successful outcomes in your current role.
You will hear from one of our staff members within 1–2 weeks if you have been selected for an interview.
A selection panel of two or more people will conduct the interview and selection process. The panel usually consists of:
- The hiring manager
- A panel member (another person from the department who can contribute effectively to the selection process)
- An independent (who is not employed in the same department and who does not have direct influence in the role)
To prepare for your interview, make sure you can provide the panel with practical examples from your current or previous work experience, how you managed particular situations, any outcomes and challenges that were overcome as well as lessons learnt.
What to bring to the interview
You must provide a minimum of four documents consisting of:
- Commencement in the community (e.g. Birth Certificate) and;
- Primary use in the community (e.g. Driver’s Licence) and;
- Secondary use in the community (e.g. Medicare Card, Bank Cards, etc).
Any of these documents must include a Photo ID to verify your identity.
You may be required to undergo a psychometric assessment prior to your interview. Assessment tools measure personality profiles and cognitive abilities (verbal, numerical and logical reasoning) to help assess your suitability for the role.
Mandatory pre-employment checks
a) Criminal Record check
All NSW Health candidates are required to complete a criminal record check. This requirement is to objectively assess the risk posed by an individual and ensure a safe environment for those in our community including children, the aged and those with disabilities. Please refer to the Criminal Record Check Consent Form in the application.
b) Pre-employment vaccination and health assessment
Preferred candidates for Category A positions must provide evidence of vaccinations and must complete a pre-employment health assessment.
Category A positions include, but are not limited to:
- Food & Patient Support Services
- Linen services
- Patient Transport Officers and Nurses
- Ambulance Make Ready
- Prosthetists, Orthotists (EnableNSW)
It is a NSW Health requirement that prior to employment, individuals applying for Category A positions provide evidence of protection against the following infectious diseases:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (Whooping cough) (dTpa)
- Hepatitis B
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella
- Varicella (chickenpox)
- Influenza (applicable to high risk Category A positions* only)
*High risk Category A positions are those in which the predominant work location includes any of the following clinical areas:
- Antenatal, perinatal and post-natal areas
- Neonatal intensive care units; special care units; home visiting services to neonates
- Paediatric intensive care units
- Transplant and oncology wards
- Intensive care units
Preferred candidates for Category A positions must complete a pre-employment health assessment to ensure their physical and other related abilities are matched to the fitness standards required by the position being applied for. The health assessment is conducted by a qualified physiotherapist who is part of the Functional Pre-Employment Specialists network and includes completion of a detailed health, work and medical based questionnaire, combined with a functional/physical examination that takes place as close as possible to your local area. The health assessment will take approximately one hour and results in a ‘suitability recommendation’.
4. Offer and onboarding
You will be notified by the hiring manager of the outcome of your interview within a few days of your interview. If you are the preferred candidate you must complete all pre-employment checks and be cleared to commence employment. We provide onboarding and induction to all new starters.Back to the top of this page