Our Culture and Values
“Positive culture in a workplace starts with caring. We all need to work together to create the type of culture we want.”
EnableNSW Equipment Centre Site Manager
Patient Support Services
At HealthShare NSW, we are ‘partnering for patients’ – and our people are integral to providing an exceptional customer experience and quality service.
Each day we’re growing a positive and constructive culture that helps our people do their best work. We call this ‘blue’ culture, which is built on achievement, innovation, collaboration and valuing our people and their safety.
As Australia’s largest public-sector shared-services provider, we are a team of 7,500 employees supporting a health workforce of about 140,000 – who in turn care for more than one million patients every year.
More than 90 per cent of our staff work in frontline roles in direct support of patient care – by providing meals, clean linen, surgical supplies or disability services and equipment.
Much of our work may take place behind the scenes but it is so important that without it, the health system simply could not operate.
Our CORE values of Collaboration, Openness, Respect and Empowerment underpin everything we do, from the products and services we offer to the way we interact and support patients and staff. We live the CORE values through:
- We work in teams where we all contribute and share ideas and responsibilities.
- We form strong partnerships with customers to deliver a quality service.
- We are willing to learn and we welcome new ideas and ways of doing things.
- We support each other across the organisation.
- We get involved.
- We explore alternatives before acting.
- We have confidence in our work and are accountable for our actions.
- We share ideas and information within our teams and with our customers and partners.
- We communicate clearly and accurately.
- We listen to our customers and each other and we act on what we learn.
- We give and receive feedback constructively.
- We treat our customers, our workmates, clinicians and their patients with consideration and courtesy.
- We are inclusive and are proud of our cultural and social diversity.
- We create a safe place to work, both physically and emotionally.
- We demonstrate integrity in all we do.
- We resolve issues constructively.
- We show concern for the needs of others.
- We encourage and support our people to make independent decisions.
- We strive for innovation.
- We encourage and recognise achievement and performance.
- We pursue individual excellence and work hard to deliver the best possible services.
- We help others to grow and develop.
- We recognise that our work is important.
At HealthShare NSW we have a number of people-focused initiatives underway. Some examples include:
- Assessments and tools to help us find people who are a right fit
- Structured and supportive onboarding program for new starters
- Leadership development programs and workshops
- Formal and informal reward and recognition programs
- Informal catch-ups and formal performance appraisal processes with opportunities for individualised development plans and formal and on-the-job training and development
- Regular culture and engagement surveys including the Human Synergistics Organisational Culture Inventory.